STOMP WARS 2022
Middle & High School Competition
OFFICIAL PERFORMANCE RULES
1. Each team will have a total of 7 minutes to perform; this includes both the introduction and exit steps. Time begins when the first sound (vocal or deliberate impact) is made by music or members and ends when members exit the stage. In the case that a team performs beyond 7 minutes time limit, points will be deducted from the total score as follows:
a. 1- 15 seconds over = 2 points (Per Judge)
b. 16- 30 seconds over = 5 points (Per Judge)
c. 31 seconds and greater = immediately disqualification
A. There will be seven (7) judges, one (1) official timekeeper, and two (2) score tabulators. In case of technical difficulties or time infractions, judges will be notified. Teams will not be penalized for technical difficulties.
B. In the event of a tie, or no clear winner for a place, then the prize of that place will be split between the tying teams and the place announced as a tie.
2. Judges will represent the Greek letter organizations and will have stepping and or step show judging experience. Judges are not paid and participate on a voluntary basis to support participants and the community. The maximum points a team can receive per judge is 100. The judges’ decisions are final.
3. Each team is evaluated on 9 different categories totaling 100 points; Introduction (10), Appearance (10), Precision (10), Difficulty/Complexity (15), Vocal Clarity (10), Creativity/Originality (15), Transition (10), Enthusiasm/Energy (10) and Overall Performance (10). Teams should remember that this is a Step competition and not a Dance competition.
4. The use of gang signs, signals, affiliations or hand signals and calls associated with Greek letter organizations are not permitted in the performances. A total of 10 points will be deducted from overall totals.
5.No profanity or sexually explicit content is allowed within any portion of the event/performance and will result in a score reduction. Sexually explicit behaviors/content include, and are not limited to, inappropriate removal of clothing, gyrating in a sexual manner, imitating sexual motions, using music with vulgar sexual lyrics (including chants/songs), etc. This reduction will not exceed a total of 10 points by each judge.
6. All step team members name must be listed on the registration forms as participants to be admitted into the show. Other staff or inactive members that are not performing must pay admission and be seated with the general audience. Only two coaches and two non- stepping individuals (music assistant and light coordinator) will be allowed to assist each team (backstage or during the show).
7. No defamation of character or group will be tolerated. This includes defamation on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference/lifestyle, economic status, etc. No belittling of any other team/organization members/groups is allowed. If a Step Team member, coach, sponsor and or chaperone are found to be unsportsmanlike causing a disruption to the step show or other step teams, the step team the disruptive member represents will be disqualified.
8. CO-ED TEAMS ALERT: There is a co-ed division for High School.
9. The structure and assignment of performance order will be determined by a random drawing.
10. The following stage and venue requirements must be adhered to: throwing objects from the stage or into the audience is prohibited, jumping on or off the stage is prohibited, teams cannot use pyrotechnics or any other hazardous materials in the show. Any other special props or requirements must be approved Stomp Wars no less than one month before event day.
11. Stomp Wars staff and sponsors require that your organization, coaches, managers, boosters and steppers conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times during our annual event. Failure to comply with this request will result in your team’s dismissal, removal from the competition, possibly exclusion from all other future events. The following WILL NOT be tolerated and will result in your team’s performance being DISQUALIFIED:
• Profane language, vulgarity, sexual gestures, inappropriate apparel; music; language and/or choreography, unsportsmanlike conduct (booing, hissing, intentional disrespect to staff, sponsors, competing teams, etc…)
12. Each team is solely responsible for ensuring that all music, routines, props, costumes and all other aspects of the Team’s performance comply with the Official Rules and these Performance Rules and Regulations and all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
13. Each team must have all music cued on both CD and USB devices. Every team must have an assigned person to sit with the sound technician during the team’s performance to provide needed music cues. This person must be the same for rehearsal and performance. The same applies for any lighting cues.
14. All props and free-standing backdrops must be picked up or taken with the organization/ school after their performance. Music can be picked at the conclusion of the show.
15. Credentials, wristbands, hand stamps must be worn always throughout the duration of competition. Members of your organization, other than those specified to perform or specifically assist with the performance, will not be permitted backstage or on stage any time during the show.
**ALL TEAMS ARE REQUIRED TO ADHERE TO OUR SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY (ATTACHED) BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER STOMP WARS. WINNING TEAMS FOUND IN DEFAULT WILL FORFEIT ALL WINNINGS/PRIZES.
These rules are subject to change. If changed, all teams will be notified in advance prior to effective implementation.